The primary focus of our mission emphasis is international and often involves the placement of resident staff members. US staff are sent for one of two reasons; to either initiate ministry where little or no work has been done, or to facilitate the multiplication of our efforts in areas where work is underway. Staff members are to serve as catalysts in both situations seeking to multiply themselves in others while working themselves out of a job.
While the task of making and multiplying disciples is central to ministry, other skills and abilities can serve to strengthen one’s ministry and open doors to countries closed to conventional ministry approaches. Applicants with business, education, technical, development and medical experience are a tremendous asset.
Requirements for Career Workers
Along with the counsel of a pastor and local church, applicants are encouraged to prayerfully consider whether or not God is leading them to cross-cultural ministry. Serving cross-culturally is uniquely challenging and requires specific skills, abilities and calling. In assessing the appropriateness of an applicant for service, we look for the following to be in evidence:
- The unmistakable leading of the Holy Spirit – confirmed by others and enduring regardless of time or circumstance.
- The evidence of a life-transforming relationship with Christ as Lord and Savior – a hunger for more of Him and active participation in community with other believers.
- Obedience to the commands of Christ to love Him, others and in so doing, make disciples.
- A willingness to learn, both formally and informally. While we recognize the benefit of degrees and credentials, it also values integrity, credibility and desire to be a life-long learner.
- Agreement with our Articles of Faith and philosophical statements related to ministry and mission.
- The ability to live and minister effectively where conditions demand a high degree of patience, persistence, adaptability and creativity.
- We do not have the means to legally employ citizens of foreign countries.